The “Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa” program allows citizens from non-EU and non-EEA countries, who can perform their work remotely, to temporarily reside in Cyprus.
The applicants must work for an employer registered abroad or perform work through telecommunications technology for companies or clients located abroad.
The program’s goal is to support Cyprus as a center for providing electronic services, and, combined with the other advantages offered by Cyprus to companies, the attraction of digital nomads aims to contribute to the transformation of the business ecosystem and to the economic development of the country.
Who can apply
Non-EU or non-EEA nationals who can perform remote work, are employed in a company registered abroad (or are self-employed offering services remotely), and can demonstrate that they have stable and sufficient monthly net income of at least €3,500.
Digital Nomads will have the Right to live in Cyprus for a year, with a possibility of renewal for two more years. Their family members can also live in Cyprus for the same period but they cannot be employed or perform any economic activities in Cyprus. Have in mind that if Digital Nomads reside in the Republic for one or more periods that in total surpass 183 days (within the same tax year), then they will be considered tax residents of Cyprus, as long as they are not tax residents in another country.
Clarifications for family members
Family members can reside in Cyprus for the same period as the Digital Nomad, without the right to be employed or perform any economic activity in Cyprus. Family members include the spouse/partner in a civil union and all under-aged children. All Family members need to obtain a temporary residence permit.
Fees and examination time
The Issuance or renewal of a temporary residence permit will cost €70 and the Registration to the Aliens’ Registry (only in cases of initial registration) will also cost €70.
It is estimated that the time of examination of the applications is between 5 to 7 weeks.
Temporary residence permit duration
The first temporary residence permit is issued with a validity of one year and in case of renewal, the temporary residence permit is issued with a validity of maximum of two years.
- Within 3 months of arrival, the applicant must submit the relevant application along with the required documents, at the Offices of the Department in Nicosia, after arranging an appointment through the online platform, to obtain a temporary residence permit. All documents accompanying application forms should be officially translated and duly certified.
- In case the applicant legally resides in Cyprus under a different status, he has the right to submit the relevant application to be granted a temporary residence permit as a Digital Nomad, at the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia.
- Applications can be submitted personally or with the assistance of an authorized representative.
- Applications that are not accompanied by all the required documents will not be accepted.
- Any change in the applicant’s data during the examination of the application should be notified immediately to the Department.
- Related fees shall be paid with the application submission.
- For the issuance of the temporary residence permit capturing of biometric data (photo and fingerprints) and signature of the third-country national is necessary, which is done with the presentation of the application submission receipt and a valid travel document. The biometric data can be captured at the same time or after the application submission, at the offices of the Department in Nicosia or at the district unit of the Aliens and Immigration Service of the Police of the district of residence of the third-country national. For persons under the age of six (6) years at the time of the application, only the photo is captured. These data are also required for the renewal of the temporary residence permit.
- Applications for renewal should be submitted to the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia along with the necessary accompanying documents, at least one month before the temporary residence permit’s expiration date. For the renewal application submission, the applicable fees also apply.
- In case the application is approved, the applicant will receive a letter informing them on how to receive their temporary residence permit.
- In case the application is rejected, the applicant will receive a letter informing them of the rejection reasons.
Application form and accompanying documents
The MVIS4 application form and the documents that must accompany the application of the digital nomad and his family members can be found at the official page of The Civil Registry and Migration Department here. >
For more information and clarifications on how to apply for a Digital Nomad Visa in Cyprus please feel free to contact us. >